Don't Tell Mom: 4 Tips For Bailing Your Sibling Out Without Parents Knowing

Just because you are over the age of 18 doesn't mean that you stop being afraid of Mom and Dad. If your sibling calls you in the middle of the night from jail, you know it is because they were scared to tell their parents. If your brother or sister got arrested, you will need to be careful about your next steps together. Here are a few ways that you can help bail out your adult sibling and hide the indiscretion from Mom and Dad for the time being. 

See a bail bond service

Depending on the charge that your sibling was arrested on, you will need to see a bail bondsman. The bail bond service may require a small payment in order to get your sibling out by using the service. Keep in mind that by signing on the bond, you are responsible for the entire amount of the bond if your sibling does not show up for court. Be sure that you actually trust your sibling to follow the terms of the bail bond before you sign on the dotted line. 

Get a mailbox

If the sibling that was arrested still lives with family, it is a good idea for them to get a mailbox at another location. Often, law firms are able to look through the court list to determine who may need to use their services and send out advertisements. This is a tale-tell sign that someone has had a legal issue. If your sibling wants to be able to communicate with the court, their attorney, and their probation officer without your parents being aware, they should get a mailbox that they can rent for several months. 

Find a lawyer that offers payments

If you are still young, finding an attorney that allows monthly payments is better than paying the attorney a lump sum. This will allow your brother or sister to come up with money from work and sell off things to pay for their attorney cost. Many lawyers will accept payments plans as long as there is no prior unpaid bill through them. 

Tell the parents once everything is done

If your sibling has a small charge that they were able to get dismissed or able to get probation for, it is best to tell your parents on your own terms after this is over. Let them know that the case happened and has been resolved. Though they may be upset, they will understand that you two were at least capable of being adults and solving a huge issue on your own. 

For more assistance, visit resources like